Racing Results – Special Notes for Beginners:
We’re really keen to encourage beginners and novices to join-in with our club racing, and have created a format that we hope will encourage participation, as below:
- Specific starts for Novices will be run if there is demand.
- Races are run on an ‘average lap time’ basis:
- Sail around the defined course until flag “S” is displayed at the race hut (“S” stands for ‘shortened course’).
- Next time you cross the line after “S” is displayed you will hear a ‘hoot’ to signify that you have finished.
- The time and number of laps is recorded for each boat, and the handicap result is taken from the average time to complete a lap.
- Faster boats may sail several more laps than slower boats.
- Often the slowest boat is the first to finish.
- Anyone who completes at least one lap will get a finish:
- If you get tired and don’t think you will be able to complete the full race, then don’t worry.
- If you can manage to complete at least one lap you will be awarded a finishing place.
- Although if you finish before the race is officially shortened, you will be awarded a position after those who sailed on until it was shortened.
- Club boats:
- Club boats can be used any time there is safety cover.
- If you want to sail but don’t feel up to taking one out yourself, then ask & we’ll try to find you a partner.
- Crew / Sail Finder:
- Put your name on the crew-finder web page: https://dbscweb.wordpress.com/sailing/crew-wanted/
Please join-in, and if you are unsure about anything, just ask.
Don’t be shy – we all had to start sometime J